Student Scholarship Nominations
The Georgia Association on Higher Education and Disability Evaluation Award is established to assist students who demonstrate an “outstanding need” in defraying the cost of an outside evaluation or an evaluation performed at one of the Regents Centers for Learning Disorders (RCLD). This award is for evaluation purposes only and is worth up to $500. A representative from the Disability Services Office or a designee on campus will nominate students.
Criteria for Nomination:
- The student must be enrolled in a post-secondary educational setting at a two-or-four year college/university or technical college in Georgia.
- The student must be experiencing academic difficulties and have either sought assistance from the DS office or have been referred to that office; and
- The student must demonstrate an “outstanding need” such as financial, medical, family, severity of academic difficulties, or emancipated student status (under 21 years old and on his/her own, declared this status through financial aid or registrar’s office).
- The student must submit a personal essay of approximately 300 words typed and submitted to the DS representative on their campus. Essay should (1) describe their background, (2) characterize their educational and career aspirations, (3) describe the nature and impact of their disability, and (4) explain why they should be considered for the scholarship.
- Official documentation of “outstanding need” is not necessary. The DS representative’s description of “outstanding need is sufficient.
- The DS representative must be a current member of GA-AHEAD to nominate a student.
Finalist Notification and Voucher:A member of the Scholarship committee will notify the disability services representative or designee of the finalist’s college or university. In addition, a voucher will be mailed to the representative to submit directly to the psychologist or RCLD.
The psychologist or RCLD will complete the information pertinent for reimbursement and mail to the Georgia Association on Higher Education and Disability (GA-AHEAD) treasurer for reimbursement. The treasurer will submit award disbursement directly to the provider.
The awarded college/university that the student attends will be announced during the Spring Conference.